Monday, February 28, 2011

Sneakers and Bike

Somewhere in Massachusetts is a lonely pair of sneakers.  A couple weeks ago I lost my best pair of sneakers so I had to replace them.  I was fitted at a running store about 5 years ago for a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS and ever since then that is all I buy.  They are fantastic sneakers that have moderate stability support and I’ve never had a complaint about any version I’ve bought. There are typically good deals on Sierra Trading Post or REI, but this year I ended up getting them right from the Brooks website, they had last year’s model at 33% off.  I have issues with buying anything at full price.
Yesterday I managed to do my long-run, I ended up doing it on the treadmill because it was snowing out. I split the run up and did 3 miles and then got off and lifted for 10 minutes and then did 3 more miles. My ipod battery was dead so I ended up listening to Sunday Morning on CBS and then My Super Sweet 16 Bash on MTV. I’m finding having my training schedule planned out and on paper a good motivator. I was a little under the weather on Saturday after festivities on Friday night, so I didn’t get any exercise and I felt pretty guilty.  
After my run on Sunday I took a nap, and then DH and I went to Quad Cycles; they have a lot of nice new bikes that range from $700 - $10,000.  Of course I would love to have a shiny new bike but, I’m not ready to fork over the money until I actually know what I want.  It is really intimidating for a beginner. They have all these bikes and I can’t tell the difference between them, and without knowing how often I am going to ride after I finish this race I’m not sure what a good price point would be. When the guy was showing me this Cannondale I had to ask him how you shift it because I’ve never even ridden a road bike, let alone understand the difference between the different Shimano drivetrains. The store has rides on the weekend every Saturday and Sunday so if I join those I’m sure the fellow riders will have some suggestions on bikes and prices.  Cycling seems to have a lot higher start-up costs then I was expecting.  Running I need a pair of sneakers, for cycling in order to fit in I feel like you need the clothes, which are weird (bright, graphic, tight) and expensive, then you need an expensive bike, a bike computer, tiny shoes, GPS, heart monitor, bike rack, helmet, etc. 

I wrote out a list of the gear I want to get this year and I plan to surf the internet and clearance racks in order to get it cheap.
  • Bike
  • Neon full zip bike jersey
  • Bike shorts
  • Commuter bike basket
  • Reflective stuff
  • Water bottle
  • Running shirts
  • Horn for commuter bike

Happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment